Sunday, April 22, 2007

Desperate Housewives in the Hood

I was up late watching the first season of my latest distraction TV series, "Nip and Tuck," when I heard some rumbling and stepped out onto my front porch to find my neighbor climbing onto her garbage pail to reach the lock on the inside of her gate. This was way more interesting than TV, I thought and said "Hello." With a drunken laugh she replied, "Hi, how are you doing, my boyfriend just locked me out." I laughed back and said, "About as good as you," telling her my news. And then the garbage pail went rolling out from under her and she went crashing down to the ground. She was drunk and still had a lit cigarette in her hand when she popped immediately back up to try again. I asked if she needed any help but she was determined to do it by her drunken self. I hadn't seen her boyfriend around for a while and recently saw a new one staying with her so I assumed as much.

Our block is relationship cursed. In the two years I have lived here I have witnessed numerous break-ups, cops being called, boyfriends breaking into neighbors' houses and couples arguing outside. I've been told of the break-ups that occurred right before I moved in. There have been eight break-ups within our block of nine homes in two years. I've suspected our block of being cursed for some time now and after tonight, I'm convinced.

We're "Desperate Housewives in the Hood". Sometimes it pays to stay up all night. I could write my own TV pilot.

No comments: